Sustainer Week +/- 2
October 14, 2022
Kevin Schulman, Founder, DonorVoice and DVCanvass
We love sustainers and not just the 12x variety. Any recurring payment will do – quarterly, semi-annual, annual.
Everybody wants more supporters on auto-renew. But the cost to acquire is high and you pay it all up front. That cost to acquire can be psychologically daunting.
You don’t need to sign up more sustainers. You need to sign up more sustainers who stick around.
Unfortunately, quantity, not quality, is the dominant metric. But why? I can think of a couple reasons,
- Quantity is super easy. We can all count.
- Quantity matters. You can’t make an impact with a handful of really high-quality donors.
This produces a high cost, pay for quantity world with lots of loss in the first 90 days. There has to be a better way.
Our understanding of Quality needs a reboot.
- Using retention data to judge quality is like driving the car through the rearview mirror.
- Using age and payment amount as the upfront indicator of quality is like cutting a cake with a sledgehammer, you need a more refined approach.
We’re kicking off Sustainer Week at the Agitator/DonorVoice and like all good statisticians, our week is only an estimate, it’s really a week’s worth of sustainer posts +/- a post or two.
We’re also shamelessly promoting a deeper learning session that we’ll host on October 26th.
You can join for free and learn how to take action to prevent some of that early donor loss by making the sign up and onboard experience better and more tailored.
- How to get missing data about your supporters as part of signup and onboard process
- Use this data to better assess quality and know who’s at risk before they quit
- Help acquire more quality folks from the start
- Tailor supporter experience to get beyond one size fits nobody journeys
- Have tailored journeys delivered automatically, outside the limits of CRM but without missing any data or reporting
P.S. Please consider Signing up here